Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Ballet Beautiful: Total Body Workout



The best workout -- ever!!
I stumbled on Mary Helen Bowers series of DVD's through Amazon and have enjoyed them, her streaming videos on her website, her book and her live classes. This is DVD is the foundation of my workouts and I alternate the other DVD and streaming videos along with a live class. I have been the DVD workout queen for over 15 years and never, ever, have I enjoyed the results I have from just 3 months of Ballet Beautiful. I have done them all and enjoyed many, however, I have the best posture, core strength, elongated strong legs and stamina I have ever had (and this is 1 1/2 years after falling from my horse and breaking a vertebrae) and above all - I look forward to my workouts, I enjoy them and feel great afterwards. In fact, I try to get in at least 30 minutes before going to ride, makes a huge difference for me in my performance. I am not sure where the guy who reviewed this is getting his comments from, but I can honestly say the proof is not only in the physical appearance, but I...

A beautiful, minimalist workout
Pros: you only need a towel or mat ~ no weights, ballet barre, chair or other props required; you'll develop beautiful, streamlined muscles; the DVD is chaptered, so you can easily select one or two segments if you're short on time; Mary Helen's cuing is excellent and her voice is encouraging, but never over-bubbly or grating like a drill sergeant; the set is serene and, combined with the music and elegant moves, you'll feel as though you're taking a class in a ballet studio.

Cons: you may curse like a sailor the first time you try this workout.

I bought this DVD because I wanted to add something new and different to my workout routine. I'd been doing Physique 57 (Volumes 1 and 2) for a few years, in addition to strength training with free weights, body weight exercises, walking, and jogging occasionally. I've been physically active my whole life - I'm no stranger to exercise and consider myself to be above average when it comes to fitness. That being said,...

Great workout, there's pros and cons
I have to say first, the only person I really workout with anymore is Tracy Anderson because I'm very short and petite and I bulk very easily. I used to work out to everything from Jillian Michaels and Jackie Werner to Leslie Sansone or Jennifer Galardi. They were effective in making me stronger but I also looked a little too strong--BULK! I was getting in better shape, yet my were getting tighter from my quads getting overly muscular. Also, the fast paced high-intensity boot camp style of working out just wasn't working for me anymore. When I discovered Tracy Anderson I was in love because she worked the accessory muscles that normal workouts don't get to and she used the attitude position for a lot of her leg/butt workouts which is very ballet inspired, and she also did most of her leg workouts on the floor (on all fours) so instead of just squatting and putting all your weight on your legs, you were doing much more varied movements without the pressure on your legs and many...

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment