Monday, December 9, 2013

Pilot



Possibly the best pilot I have ever seen....
I have to say.... This one surprised me. I didn't really know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised. It's funny. It's really f***ing funny. Only 10 minutes in and I was invested in the characters.
Avinash is so dead-on and hysterical.
I LOVE Hobbes. "Have you seen these robotic vaginas? .... Well, you will in 3-5 business days cuz I ordered one."
And the Moby cameo is fantastic. "Did you ever f*** an octopus? I f***ed an octopus. That's why I'm a vegan now."
Really hoping to see more. What can I say.... It appeals to the mega-nerd in me.

Characters are funny AND loveable
Too many comedies make their characters just caricatures, and push the comedy over a ledge. BETAS is funny AND the characters are people I cared about, I want to see them succeed while knowing they'll commit plenty of self-defeating laugh-your-ass-off mistakes. I want MORE!

Geek Heaven
If you liked Social Network, The Guild, Big Bang Theory, or are just generally into tech and the tech community this is a no brainer. Funny, intelligent, accurate. If none of those things are your usual cup of tea, open one window with the show and pull up TechCrunch, Wired, Gizmodo, or PopTech in another window. Welcome to the 21st Century.

There are some obligatory stereotypes which get a fuller view in additional episodes. It wouldn't be a stereotype if there wasn't some small bit of truth.

I don't know if it has legs, but I'm going to watch every episode until I find out.

Joe Dinicol is a revelation. You get the feeling you've known him forever, but honestly, I didn't see a thing on his imdb that was recognizable to me. Maybe it's just his pitch perfect Joshua Malina delivery.

Ed Begley Jr is perfect. I'm pretty sure I was married to him at some point in the 70's. If I was married in the 70's. Sort of just playing himself again, which is...

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment