Thursday, December 12, 2013

No Man's Land [HD]



New heights
For my money, the third season of Stargate Atlantis is the best thus far. All of the seasons have been somewhat hit-and-miss, in terms of episode quality, but I think season three brings a wealth of much-needed character development. We learn more about the mysterious Sheppard in "Phantoms" and the taciturn Ronon Dex in "Sateda," while the episodes "McKay and Mrs. Miller" and "The Tao of Rodney" provide new dimensions to the brilliant and blustery Rodney McKay. McKay's character arc alone -- looking from his original guest appearances years ago on SG-1 to the newest Atlantis offerings -- is staggering, and David Hewlett greatly deserves the praise he's received for his performance. Outside of something like Firefly, I think it's rare to see a show in this genre explore so much of the characters' backstories, and it's gratifying to see it finally happening for SGA.

Teyla is certainly underutilized, and I hope that this season will bring new depths to her character. From what...

Best season so far, BUT....
Season 3's main achievement is with the characters. The team was likable enough before, but in season 3, they become absolutely endearing thanks to this season's outstanding job with character development. Ronon wasn't a favorite of mine before, but it's all changed after watching "Sateda", one of best episodes of the series so far with "Common Ground".

Unfortunately, just when the season is almost over and you're cheering the producers for having achieved the perfect chemistry among the SGA team members, you get hit over the head with "Sunday". I only get to watch SGA when the DVDs are out, so I was totally unprepared for the shocking ending which left me speechless at first, then very sad, and finally very upset with the producers. What were they thinking? Who in the world first came up with such a "brilliant" idea?

Season 3 is excellent, you will love the characters, but I wonder what season 4 will be like. I heard Sam was joining the cast. Amanda Tapping is...

Atlantis treads water.
I just finished watching the third season DVD set, and while Stargate Atlantis is still my favorite Sci-Fi show, I was rather disapointed.

Here's why.

(Warning! Spoilers below!)

First, story arc failure. I was expecting a huge advancement in the story arc concerning the Wraith, but it just didn't happen. Sure, they appear in a few good episodes, but it didn't seem like the story with respect to them in particular moved at all.

Second, killing off Dr. Beckett. I really liked him. Maybe I'm dating myself a bit here, but he was kind of like Scotty and McCoy rolled together but with a cooler head. This very lovable character will be missed.

Third, rehashing the replicators. With an entirely new galaxy as our backdrop for this series, why do the replicator thing all over again? It was original enough on Stargate SG-1, but I was amazed that Atlantis started a story arc with replicators too. Are they going creatively bankrupt...

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment